Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Three Darlings," New Jersey, September 2005

Forgive me for being morbid during this season of cheer, but in looking for an image of three of anything, this one stuck with me. Plus, I'm excited to have hundreds of new photos uploaded now that I've gone through so many images recovered from my crashed hard drive.

I took these one afternoon when my wife and I explored the tiny Edgewater Cemetery behind our apartment. Despite talk of regular return visits and a hope of researching the history of some of the names, I never did either. I can't even tell you the name on the grave marker on the right -- I'm only assuming he or she is part of the Darling clan -- that's Daniel on the left and James in the middle. (Though there are only two Darlings listed at FindAGrave.com, I'm not sure the inscription on this third stone is legible even in person.)

I guess for a holiday theme, you could think of them as the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.

1 comment:

Leora said...

Thought provoking. I do like your idea of looking into a cemetery for subject matter. There's a connection with what's past.