Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Day 160 of 365

[I still haven't caught up on blogging my daily photos since coming back from vacation, but they're all in the Flickr set. I'll catch up soon enough, but I just couldn't wait until I had to post this one.]

[The backlog is released and 18 days of photos have been posted, beginning with Day 142. Start there and head back here!]

Ever since I first read about the decommissioned railroad tracks built over 10th Avenue and the West Side, I've been intrigued. And once they announced that the old trestle would become the High Line Park, I've eagerly anticipated my first trip up there.

This one particular overpass has caught my eye since 2006, when I first started working in Chelsea Market. I'm standing on the east side of 10th Avenue, just north of the Market, looking west across the avenue to where the tracks used to duck into the building before emerging out the north side and continuing up to 34th St.

Many of the old entryways have been built over, like the one in this photo, so it's only bits and pieces of the rail line's past that remain. The rest is left to the imagination.

No comments: